Cold winter nights call for warm and easy one-pan meals like this Sautéed Cabbage and Chicken Sausage.
Even though I’ve been averse to cabbage for a long time (from having my parents and grandparents tell me to eat some cabbage non-stop growing up), I’ve come back around to it.
Mainly because I know it’s chock-full of needed nutrients for winter and has anti-inflammatory properties. But also because when it’s cooked right, it’s actually really delicious. And that’s exactly what this dish is. Delicious. And easy.
Here’s how to make it:
Step 1: Chop the cabbage
Cabbage almost always has dirt on it, even if it looks clean at first. Make sure you peel the outer few layers and wash all the dirt off really good. (Gritty cabbage is unpleasant cabbage.)
Cut the cabbage into slices, then chop the slices into medium to smallish chunks. (This depends on what your preference is.)
*If you’re prepping this for later in the week, store it in a baggie until the night of.
Step 2: Sautee the cabbage
Next, add the avocado oil to a sautee pan and turn the heat to medium warm. Add the cabbage and salt, and sautee it until it’s on the verge of being soft.
Then add the dijon mustard and lemon juice.
Step 3: Add the sausage
Slice the chicken sausage into chunks or rounds and add it to the pan. Keep stirring until the chicken is warmed through.
Plate and enjoy!
Don’t be afraid to add a spinach or kale salad on the side! 🍃
The printable recipe is below, and it’s also featured in our Winter Freestyle Meal Prep session (check it out and get the printable guide!)
Sauteed Cabbage and Chicken Sausage Pan
- 16 oz chicken sausage Make sure there's no cheese inside for dairy-free
- 1 head purple cabbage sliced and chopped
- 2 TBSP avocado oil
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Heat a cast-iron skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add the sausage and cook for six to eight minutes, until cooked through. Then remove and set aside.
- Add the cabbage wedges to the skillet and cook until browned and slightly charred on both sides, about five minutes total.
- In a small bowl, mix together the olive oil, lemon juice, mustard, and salt. Add the sausage and cabbage to plates. Drizzle the dressing over the cabbage and enjoy!
Like this recipe? Prep it and 5 others with the Winter Freestyle Meal Prep Guide! 👇