When it comes to easy and nutritious, nothing comes closer than this simple roasted tomato soup. Not only is it full of phytonutrients from tomatoes, onion, and bell peppers, it’s also a great cold-weather comfort food.
Simple Roasted Tomato Soup
- 2 28 oz Canned tomatoes Italian, San Marzano
- 1 yellow onion loosely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper chopped and de-seeded
- 3 TBSP olive oil
- 1 1/2 tsp salt to taste
- 1 1/2 tsp black pepper to taste
- 3 garlic cloves chopped
- 5 cups low-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth for vegan version
- 2 TBSP fresh basil chopped
- 2 TBSP fresh parsley chopped
Drizzle olive oil in large pot over medium-high heat. Add onions and bell pepper and cook until tender.
Add garlic and cook about 5 more minutes.
Pour canned tomatoes into a high-powered blender. Add onion, pepper, and garlic mixture.
Pulse until smooth, then pour back into large pot. Add broth.
Simmer soup about 5 minutes, then add basil and parsley.
Top with organic sour cream or plant-based sour cream (optional).
Add a grilled cheese sandwich with grain-free bread (optional).
When it comes to creamy soups for fall and winter, this Turkish Red Lentil Soup is just the thing to warm you up AND fill you up!
The lentils and rice give a ton of fiber and complex carbs while the tomatoes give a boost of vitamin c and lycopene.
And with a vague mint and spicy note, it’s perfect!
*Serve with gluten-free whole-grain crackers and a dollop of organic sour cream (or dairy-free sour cream) to finish it off!
Turkish Red Lentil Soup
- 2 TBSP olive oil
- 1/2 onion diced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/4 cup diced tomatoes canned, drained
- 5 cups chicken stock vegetable for vegan option
- 1/2 cup red lentils
- 1/2 cup basmati rice or wild or brown
- 2 TBSP tomato paste
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes optional
- 1 TBSP mint leaves dried or fresh
- 1/2 tsp salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp black pepper to taste
Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Cook onion until clear, then add the garlic and cook about 2 minutes.
Add the tomatoes, chicken stock, lentils, rice, tomato paste, paprika, red pepper flakes, and mint. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low and cook until the lentils and rice are cooked through (this will take approximately 30 minutes).
Pour entire pot into a high-powered blender and pulse into a puree.
Pour soup back into pot and simmer, adding salt and pepper to taste, until time to serve.