When it comes to easy and nutritious, nothing comes closer than this simple roasted tomato soup. Not only is it full of phytonutrients from tomatoes, onion, and bell peppers, it’s also a great cold-weather comfort food.
Simple Roasted Tomato Soup
- 2 28 oz Canned tomatoes Italian, San Marzano
- 1 yellow onion loosely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper chopped and de-seeded
- 3 TBSP olive oil
- 1 1/2 tsp salt to taste
- 1 1/2 tsp black pepper to taste
- 3 garlic cloves chopped
- 5 cups low-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth for vegan version
- 2 TBSP fresh basil chopped
- 2 TBSP fresh parsley chopped
- Drizzle olive oil in large pot over medium-high heat. Add onions and bell pepper and cook until tender.
- Add garlic and cook about 5 more minutes.
- Pour canned tomatoes into a high-powered blender. Add onion, pepper, and garlic mixture.
- Pulse until smooth, then pour back into large pot. Add broth.
- Simmer soup about 5 minutes, then add basil and parsley.
Notes: Top with organic sour cream or plant-based sour cream (optional). Add a grilled cheese sandwich with grain-free bread (optional).