One of the most important discoveries in terms of health in the last decade or so is that sugar consumption is a huge factor in weight gain as well as a myriad of health conditions and diseases. With that comes the next step: pulling oneself off of sugar… which may not be so easy. As a nutritionist, it’s really important to help people find easy ways to get from point A to B in their health journey using food. That being said, here are my 5 steps to a successful sugar detox.
5 Steps to a Success Sugar Detox
- PRE-EXPERIMENT WITH SUGAR: Knowing how you respond to sugar (emotionally and physically) is a huge first step in detoxing from sugar. Many people go into a sugar detox thinking they can easily get off sugar for a week or so and be fine. Doing an initial experiment with sugary foods BEFORE you start a sugar detox (and with the right tools to guide you through, like the 'Sugar Detox Experience' free sugar detox offered on the TRUEWELL site) will help you understand how you respond to sugar, and if you may be addicted to it.
- GET IN THE RIGHT MIND-FRAME:Go into your sugar detox with the correct mind frame. Are you starting this to kickstart weight loss, manage a condition, or just adopt a more healthy lifestyle? Know your high-level goals, then dig in to really get to the bottom of your big 'why' for your sugar detox.
- SHOP + PREP FOR MEALS:Having a sugar-free meal plan that is specifically designed by a nutritionist is KEY to completing a successful sugar detox. This is because (especially if you've been on a really high-sugar diet for a while), it can be hard to go sugar-free cold turkey. A meal plan like the one offered for free in the Sugar Detox Experience by TRUEWELL actually pulls you off higher-glycemic foods gradually, giving you the best chance possible of avoiding cravings.
- FOLLOW THE MEAL PLAN:It's very important to follow the meal plan for your sugar detox. Many people *think* they know what foods are sugar-free or safe to eat if they've failed to plan. However, this is usually how they ended up in the situation of needing a sugar detox in the first place. Make sure you follow the meal plan while on your sugar detox! (It has the perfect options for fruits, veggies, and grains while detoxing from sugar!)
- BE READY FOR SIDE-EFFECTS + BE PREPARED:Side effects of coming off high levels of sugar can be rough if you don't know what to expect! Several side effects (like headaches, severe exhaustion, and severe cravings) are very likely, and are a major reason people don't complete their first week or two of a sugar detox. Be prepared with the free Sugar Detox Experience video guide plus one week meal plan!
Ready to start your free 1-week Sugar Detox Experience? Get yours below! 👇